Roach Kill


"A cockroach can streak at 70-80 cm/s while rapidly changing direction to escape a predator or a well-aimed shoe."
~Delcomyn 1985~


The battle began when I was five. I was trapped in a room with a flying roach circling the air between me and my only avenue of escape. I stayed in the same spot, hyperventilating with silent tears running down my face, not daring to make a peep lest it hears me. After what seemed like three hours, Yaya Marie came in and saw me in that corner, paralyzed with fear and holding on to my blankie for dear life. I wasn't sure if she was laughing to herself as she removed a flip-flop and killed the bastard, but she was my first hero. I declared war between me and all roaches after that incident.



Little 5-year old Nat & the Evil Roach



The most recent encounter with my foresworn nemesis was just a few weeks ago. I was hangin' out with a friend in a respectable coffee shop in Makati. It is a well-known fact to those dear to my heart that my bladder morphs into a pathetic pea whenever I drink coffee or alcohol, so after several sips from my first cup, I felt the uncontrollable urge to run.

As I closed the washroom door behind me, I saw the ugliest, fiercest and grossest creature to ever roam the face of the earth--right by my foot. With a leap and a ridiculously loud thud, I lay paralyzed flat against the door with my arms outstretched and my feet on tiptoes (as if that would prevent an oncoming attack).

With Oriental-turned-Pakistani eyes, I watched as it hurriedly crawled for cover under the toilet. My knees trembled as I gasped for air and felt that all-too-familiar sense of panic taking over.

Damn it.

Now, the only thing that's worse than finding a roach in a bathroom is losing it. You'll never know if it's about to drop on your head, crawl up your leg, fly into your face or maybe even land on your butt while you take a pee (now that would be a bitch and a half).

Fighting the temptation to curl into a ball of mass hysteria and cause a humiliating scandal in the bathroom of that particular coffee shop, I tried to think straight and heard a small voice in my head telling me to stand up for myself and fight. That would probably be better than having my friends (or worse, enemies) read about me in the local tabloids:


MED STUDENT

NABALIW SA BANYO NG C*F*EE B**N


Shaking off my fear of roaches and shifting to fear of social stigma, I decided to confront my archrival. Without taking my eyes off the spot where it disappeared, I reached for the bar of soap at the sink (there's no-ho-ho f*ckin' way I'm gonna use my Havaianas) and raised my arm up high, prepared to strike as soon as I spot even just a millimeter of its disgusting antenna.

After ten long minutes of nail-biting suspense (yes, I stood there motionless, bar of soap overhead, for ten whole f*ckin minutes), I desperately tried singing "The Eency Weency Spider" to coax it out of hiding (gimme a break, can you think of a song about roaches?).

Nothing happened.

With half-squinted eyes, I bent my shaking knees further and took aim, throwing the bar of soap onto the floor behind the toilet.

No sign of it still.

Suddenly realizing that I just lost the only weapon available for its possible extermination, I panicked, succumbed to my fear, opened the door and ran for dear life.


I felt smug nevertheless for being so brave in the face of potential combat. I wasn't a coward. I was the party on the offense after all. I felt powerfully renewed. Released. Omnipotent, even.


But I still had to pee.


_________________________________



Note of Interest:



"Determined to reduce the number of disease-carrying insects, officials in Manila, Philippines offered a bounty of 1.50 pesos (six cents) for every 10 cockroaches turned in. The Asahi Evening News reported the offer has given rise to a booming industry in the Philippines — roach farming."

~The Hindu~
(an Indian national newspaper)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa. i never thought the simple act of squishing a roach could be this dramatic. ;p

Unknown said...

haha. call me histrionic.

Anonymous said...

i like the tabloid headline. hahahahahahahaha. good one.

Anonymous said...

Q: sinong uber-kulit? raise your hand.

*doctor nutty raises hand*

right on cue. :p

this post made me laugh. :D you may be the only person i know who could turn an "ipis encounter" into a novellete. teehee.

-dadapanget

teepsee said...

hahahaha!

guess the ipis won.

kidding =p

The King said...

haha! what a hilarious post.. marge is right, what a dramatic masterpiece, haha!

my roommate is also terrified of cockroaches. and i always laugh at how he would jump on the street dodging the dirty insects. you see, we live in a squatter like neighborhood. and our apartment is located at a dingy eskinita. so roaches are within constant sight.. =p

Jan said...

LOL. very funny post. ;) it reminds me of jessica zafra's fervent battle against that crawling, flying, and every-inch-of-the devil life form. but i guess we just have to live with the fact that they're ubiquitous and that they outnumber us. but if we can, we all should go for the kill. :)

thanks for dropping by. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Nat,
I share in that fear of roaches. I've had several yukky encounters with them. ooh. I hope you don't mind me snoopin around.. am hoppin from Jae's.

Have a happy day,
[..russ..
superwonderwomanruss.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

i remember :)

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Tennis skirt action photos computer games water filter Psbuy ionamin Search engine optimization delhi Car stereo speakers wiring diagrams mo health insurance small business web site design Morgan pontiac gmc http://www.cream-eczema.info http://www.domain-register-6.info/Prozacricciprozacnation.html car dealerships in ms Zyban bupropion reviews